When you own Hotmail account, the messages that come to your inbox and other mail folders are saved on specific web servers as allocated by MSN. You can check your emails from anywhere as long as you have online connection and are using a compatible web browser that fits the settings of this email service.
There are several features as well as unique functions that are offered by this email service to its users. The email account can be managed in several ways by the users:
- Email messages can be organized into different folders
- Custom folders can be created by the Hotmail users
- You can opt for the automatic sorting function in the email settings
- You can configure a unique signature for your mails or set an auto reply for different instances
- There are themes that allow you to change the feel and look of your mail
The drawback of this email service is akin to all other web based email services. It is not possible to access old messages even if the online connection is not present. In order to access the email account you need to have internet connection. The process of creating an email account here is easy. The process is described below:
- You need to open a compatible web browser and type in the web address of the Hotmail official site.
- Even if the layout of the Hotmail main page changes, you will be able to find the sign up link easily
- The sign up process is simple and requires basic personal information, creation of a unique username and password which will protect your account and will be easily remembered by you
- Today the Hotmail ID offers you access to a large range of MSN services. As the Hotmail service has been integrated under the Windows Live campaign, you will be able to access your mail account through the outlook domain as well as use the same Hotmail credentials to sign into Live services, Messenger and Xbox amongst others
With the large subscriber base of Hotmail, it might take a little while for you to find a unique username as most of the desirable ones will be taken. You will be offered options that you can use and you would need to fill in country and birth date details as well before the sign up process is completed.
Hotmail has a large subscriber base as it is one of the pioneering email services to have formed at the time when free, web based email services were a novelty feature. For those who wish to create a Hotmail account, they will surely love to be part of this thirty million subscriber base of this email service as it stands today. This email service has been created and launched by two entrepreneurs, Jack Smith and Sabeer Bhatia after which they sold it to MSN. Later on it came under the portfolio of offerings that MSN provides and it has undergone several changes in its branding and layouts as MSN has consolidated its online operations over time.