It’s quite interesting how easy it is for one to communicate with colleagues, family and friends despite their geographical location. With Hotmail, you can have conversations and discussions with different people all over the world.
The web based email service provider offers you many different features and services that will make it easy for you to communicate. Hotmail, a Microsoft operated service provider has features like instant messaging, Xbox Live, SkyDrive and many more. To enjoy these features you will have to create an account.
- You will be required to have a computer and a good internet connection for you to create the account. You can also sign up for an account using the mobile devices with internet connectivity. You will be able to access the Hotmail home page via its official website link. The Microsoft Hotmail sign in home page will open, click on sign up that is located at the bottom of the page. You will be directed to a new page where you will be required to fill in your details.
- The first thing that you will have to do is to input your name- this is the name that will be visible to other people. Choosing your name is one of the important aspects of this process as the user name will double up as your email address. The interesting factor with Hotmail or Outlook is that you can use any email address as your Microsoft email address. If you have already signed in to a Windows PC, tablet or phone, you can use that email address to sign in to Hotmail.
You will be required to choose a password to protect your email address. The password is supposed to have a minimum of 8 alphanumeric characters. You will be required to re-enter your password to confirm it. Choose Continue reading
You have the option to set up the 2-step verification using an email address, authenticator app or a phone. Whenever you sign in Hotmail account through a new device or from a new location, you will be sent a security code either to your email address or phone or app that you need to enter in order to gain access to your Hotmail inbox as we explain here.
Two step verification set up option
Once you turn on the two step verification, you will receive the security code on your chosen device every time you log in from an un-trusted device. If the two step verification is turned off, then you will not have to get access to your Hotmail account through the security code. Your password will be more than enough.
Hotmail Login with 2-step verification
By setting up the two step verification, you will enable it across all the services offered by Microsoft like OneDrive, Skype, Outlook.com, Microsoft Office, outlook.com, Bing, etc. The following is the procedure to set up the two step verification for Hotmail.
The following is the simple process to follow to sign in to your Hotmail inbox.
Hotmail.com login procedure
- Go to your favorite web browser and type outlook.com or www.hotmail.com in the address bar.
- You will be directed to the Outlook.com sign in page for both these web addresses.
- In this official sign in page, you will find two type fields with email@example.com and password written inside it.
- Click inside the first type box and enter your email address that ends in @hotmail.com.
- Then move the cursor to the second type box and click inside this. This is where you enter your password.
- Once you have entered both the fields correctly, press on the sign in button and you will get quick access to your Hotmail email account.
Keep me signed in option
You can opt for the keep me signed in option if you are always accessing your Hotmail emails from your personal computer or device. The process to activate this feature is Continue reading
The following are the steps involved in Hotmail login sign in process if you already have a Hotmail account.
Hotmail login steps
- Visit the hotmail.com or www.outlook.com sign in page using your favorite web browser.
- You will be taken to the Microsoft Outlook sign in page. You will find two type fields on the page with username or phone number and password written in the fields.
- In the first type box, you should key in your username that ends with hotmail.com.
- In the subsequent type box, you need to key in your password exactly the same that you have typed when creating your Hotmail account.
- If you miss even one letter or character or if the CAPS LOCK is activated when keying our password, then you will be denied access to the Hotmail account.
- Once the correct username and password is entered, you just need to click on the sign in option to get instant access to your Hotmail inbox. Now, you can send or read your messages.
If you are looking for how to create a Hotmail account, in this article we will explain step by step how to have one. Here is the stepwise instruction for how creating a hotmail account in Hotmail:
- To create an account using outlook.com, visit https://signup.live.com or clicking here the official website of Hotmail.
- You can see a registration form on your screen. Enter the details as required in the form.
- In the first two fields you have to enter your first and last name.
- You need to enter your username in the next text field. You can use any email ID as your user name or you can get a new mail address.
- You can select the new Microsoft account to be Hotmail.com or Outlook.com from the dropdown menu on the right field.
- Next, you have to create a strong password that has at least 8 characters. See to find out how to create the password. Make sure that you use upper case and lower case letters as well as numbers in your password to make it difficult to guess by other people but, an easy one to remember for you.
- In the next field reenter the password for confirmation.
- Select and enter the country/ region from where you are using the service from the drop down menu in the next field.
- Enter the zip code of your country.
Even though you are going to upgrade your Hotmail account to Outlook.com account, the e-mail address you have right now with Hotmail need not be changed. Even after the upgrade, you will have the same @hotmail.com email address. If you need @Outlook.com account, then you will have to create a new one.
All your emails, contacts list, folders, etc., in your Hotmail inbox will not be changed or would not be unavailable when you convert to Outlook. Even those will be converted. The only change that you will see when moving from Hotmail to outlook.com is the user interface that will be modern looking with a host of features.
Upgrading from Hotmail to Outlook.com
Hotmail is the first free web based email service to be launched. It is now a property of Microsoft and has undergone plenty of changes. Right now, all series offered by Microsoft can be access with just a single Microsoft account. Hotmail has been taken over and is now combined with Outlook.com account. This is the desktop or a web based email service on offer from Microsoft. Even if you have a Hotmail account, you will be taken to the Outlook.com inbox when you sign up. All services offered by Microsoft are under a new suite called Windows Live.
Here are the guidelines for registering your hotmail account. Visit the official hotmail website: www.hotmail.com. You will be automatically redirected to the web page https://login.live.com.
How to create a Hotmail account?
- Here you can see the hotmail sign in option. You can enter email and password in the box provided and click on the sign-in option, if you are already having a Microsoft account. If you do not have Windows Live or Hotmail address, click on “create one” option below the sign in box. You will be directed to the https://signup.live.com Fill out the “create an account” page.
- Enter the basic information needed by Microsoft like your first name, last name, country/ region, birth date with month, day and year, gender, country code, phone number. You will also need to enter an alternate e-mail address for safety purpose.
If you wish to login to your Hotmail account, here are the changes you will face and what you will experience:
- Hotmail has been transitioned and moved to Outlook.com ; the domains have become one and all subscribers and their accounts will be found under this one, unified platform
- Your email address remains as Hotmail.com if you wish to but they have all been moved to the Outlook.com inbox. That signifies that, if someone addresses an email to your firstname.lastname@example.org, it will land up in our Hotmail or Outlook account
- Without any loss of data, the emails, calendars, rules, contacts and other features of your inbox have been moved to the Outlook.com inbox. You have the option of using your Hotmail address as before or you can get an outlook.com address as well if you want
- Whether you type in hotmail.com, outlook.com or mail.live.com, it will open up the sign in page where you can login using your Hotmail account credentials.
If you wish to save the login details, you can click on that option. You can also change the new page layout of your Hotmail inbox by visiting the settings tab. Here you can click on the option given to change back to the old Hotmail interface.
You might be one of the numerous others who own existing Hotmail accounts and now find themselves under the Outlook.com domain, whether they like it or not. Hotmail was a revolutionary web based mail service at the time it was introduced. At that time, free, web based email service that allowed one to access their account anywhere in the world, through an internet connection, was a novelty feature. At that time only ISP related email services were common which had to be paid for and one had to check their mail though the subscribed IP address or computer.
After having sold the successful email service to Microsoft, the owners of Hotmail become billionaires and the successful email service story continued. Millions of subscribers signed up for the service and even today, several old users of Hotmail account have stayed with this brand loyally and not given way to temptations brought forward by modern, web based services like Gmail, Yahoo and others. For the large subscriber base that Hotmail commands, MSN has not deleted its identity but subtly removed its domain or brought it under outlcook.com. That means, you get to keep your existing Hotmail address. Your account remains the same with all its emails and in the folders as organized from before. You have access to additional features under the Live brand experience and your Hotmail ID becomes the one MSN ID you can use to access all its other functions and services. Today, when you sign up for a new Hotmail ID, it will no longer be a Hotmail ID but an MSN or Outlook ID. For existing Hotmail users, they need not sign up for a separate ID as their existing Hotmail ID will suffice on the upgraded platform.
When you own Hotmail account, the messages that come to your inbox and other mail folders are saved on specific web servers as allocated by MSN. You can check your emails from anywhere as long as you have online connection and are using a compatible web browser that fits the settings of this email service.
There are several features as well as unique functions that are offered by this email service to its users. The email account can be managed in several ways by the users:
- Email messages can be organized into different folders
- Custom folders can be created by the Hotmail users
- You can opt for the automatic sorting function in the email settings
- You can configure a unique signature for your mails or set an auto reply for different instances
- There are themes that allow you to change the feel and look of your mail
The drawback of this email service is akin to all other web based email services. It is not possible to access old messages even if the online connection is not present. In order to access the email account you need to have internet connection. The process of creating an email account here is easy. The process is described below:
- You need to open a compatible web browser and type in the web address of the Hotmail official site.
- Even if the layout of the Hotmail main page changes, you will be able to find the sign up link easily
- The sign up process is simple and requires basic personal information, creation of a unique username and password which will protect your account and will be easily remembered by you
- Today the Hotmail ID offers you access to a large range of MSN services. As the Hotmail service has been integrated under the Windows Live campaign, you will be able to access your mail account through the outlook domain as well as use the same Hotmail credentials to sign into Live services, Messenger and Xbox amongst others
With the large subscriber base of Hotmail, it might take a little while for you to find a unique username as most of the desirable ones will be taken. You will be offered options that you can use and you would need to fill in country and birth date details as well before the sign up process is completed.
Hotmail has a large subscriber base as it is one of the pioneering email services to have formed at the time when free, web based email services were a novelty feature. For those who wish to create a Hotmail account, they will surely love to be part of this thirty million subscriber base of this email service as it stands today. This email service has been created and launched by two entrepreneurs, Jack Smith and Sabeer Bhatia after which they sold it to MSN. Later on it came under the portfolio of offerings that MSN provides and it has undergone several changes in its branding and layouts as MSN has consolidated its online operations over time.
There are about three hundred million subscribers to Hotmail and for them, there have been several changes that have been introduced and have unsettled them to a large extent. Hotmail has been under the MSN banner for quite some time. For a long time, MSN did not introduce any changes and allowed Hotmail account users to login and use their Hotmail account as they were used to. However, certain consolidation efforts have been underway from last year.
Today Microsoft has moved all its web mail services to a unified platform, known as the outlook.com domain. All the mail users of the different account services are now being redirected to outlook.com. However Hotmail users have nothing to fear. The fundamental differences are nil as only the domain difference has happened and Hotmail has come under outlook. That offers the existing Hotmail users more choice and more features and the advantages of the new Outlook web based email service are being extended to them as well.
If we go back to the beginning of both these services, Hotmail was introduced in the late nineties as a free web based email service. It was then taken over by MSN though it maintained its main features while Outlook was an email program that resided in the Windows operating system marketed by Microsoft. Today the difference between Outlook and Hotmail has vanished as they have come together under the Live brand of Windows. For the existing Outlook users, they are freed of the shackles of their OS dependent email program and they can now login and access their outlook account from anywhere and from any computer. For the Hotmail users they can use their same login credentials to view their old inbox under the new outlook domain.
Once one logs in to their Hotmail account using their login credentials as before, there are some changes in the layout and features that one needs to get used to. There are several changes made such as the Contacts tab that has been renamed as People. Some old features are missing and new ones added in the new modern and flat layout of the outlook com Hotmail inbox.
If you are wondering what are the changes as compared to the old Hotmail and the new Outlook service, here is a lowdown on the differences you will find:
- Today Outlook is not accessed internally. You will need to have internet access in order to visit the outlook domain and access your inbox and other mail folders
- Hotmail’s login interface is the same as the new outlook.com login page. You can use either outlook.com or hotmail credentials to sign into your unified mail service
- You can integrate your email accounts under the Live Widows settings
- Outlook inbox offers certain changes in the mail functions and features. The tabs have also changed. For Hotmail users, there is a tab in the references setting where they can click to get back the old and familiar Hotmail layout
The new outlook mail features are upgraded and these are extended to existing Hotmail users as well. You can migrate to the outlook.com mail service and integrate your existing Hotmail mail folders. All such options are now being made available to Hotmail users.